Massive sunspot could create solar flares directed toward Earth
Washington: Scientists say the largest sunspot seen in years has appeared on the surface of the sun, and it could generate solar flares whose effects are visible on Earth.
The sunspot cluster — shaped a little like the islands of Hawaii — is much larger than Earth. It measures 100,000 miles from end to end, while the diameter of the Earth is approximately 7,900 miles.
“We are going toward the peak of the solar cycle right now,” said Lead Scientist for NASA’s Living With a Star Program, Madhulika Guhathakurta.
“It typically goes through an 11-year cycle in which the magnetic field in the sun goes from minimum to maximum. Right now, we’re rising toward the maximum and during that time, the number of sunspots increases,” she added.
The placement of the sunspot cluster could mean solar flares directed toward Earth, but NASA says not to worry.
“Everyone is watching the sunspot because it has the potential to produce strong flares, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re going to have a severe magnetic storm,” Guhathakurta said.
“We can’t predict anything ahead of time. We have to wait for particles to arrive at a certain point where we have a spacecraft, and this measures the particles and the orientation of the magnetic field — that’s when we’ll know if the particles will penetrate through,” she stated.
NOAA and NASA would then issue a forecast alert to notify people of the possibility of disruptions.
If particles penetrate through, they do have the potential to affect satellites, interfere with radio signals and, in the most severe situations, create voltage fluctuations in power grids.
A 1989 power blackout in Quebec was later blamed on a solar storm, though there’s been nothing comparable since.
But, Guhathakurta said, “There’s really nothing to be afraid of. It’s typically only electronics and machinery that are affected.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM