Mercury crater named after John Lennon
Washington: The International Astronomical Union has approved a proposal from the MESSENGER Science Team to assign Jon Lennon`s name to an impact craters on Mercury.
Along with Lennon, nine others eminent personalities in their fields have been given this honor.
The craters have been named after:
1. Barney, for Natalie Clifford Barney (1876-1972), an American-French playwright, poet, and novelist.
2. Berlioz, for Hector Berlioz (1803-1869), a French Romantic composer known for his compositions `Symphonie fantastique` and `Grande messe des morts.`
3. Calder, for Alexander Calder (1898-1976), an American sculptor best known as the originator a type of kinetic sculpture made with delicately balanced or suspended components that move in response to motor power or air currents.
4. Capote, for Truman Capote (1924-1984), an American author whose short stories, novels, plays, and nonfiction include the novella `Breakfast at Tiffany`s.`
5. Caruso, for Enrico Caruso (1873-1921), an Italian tenor who sang to great acclaim at the major opera houses of Europe and the Americas.
6. Ensor, for James Sidney Ensor (1860-1949), a Belgian painter and printmaker, considered an important influence on expressionism and surrealism.
7. Giambologna, for Jean Boulogne Giambologna (1529-1608), a Dutch sculptor known for his marble and bronze statuary in a late Renaissance or Mannerist style.
8. Lennon, for John Lennon (1940-1980), an English songwriter, musician, and singer who rose to worldwide fame as a founding member of the Beatles.
9. Remarque, for Erich Maria Remarque (1898-1970), a German author best known for his novel `All Quiet on the Western Front.`
10. Vieira da Silva, for Maria Elena Vieira da Silva (1908-1992), a Portuguese-born French painter of intricate, semiabstract compositions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town