Milky Way has four spiral arms: Study
Washington: Researchers have said that a 12-year-old study of massive stars has reaffirmed that Milky Way has four spiral arms.
Co-author Professor Melvin Hoare, a member of the RMS Survey Team in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Leeds, said that studying Milky Way`s structure gives them a unique opportunity to understand how a very typical spiral galaxy works in terms of where stars are born and why.
In the 1950s astronomers used radio telescopes to map our galaxy. Their observations focused on clouds of gas in the Milky Way in which new stars are born, revealing four major arms.
NASA`s Spitzer Space Telescope, on the other hand, scoured the galaxy for infrared light emitted by stars. It was announced in 2008 that Spitzer had found about 110 million stars, but only evidence of two spiral arms.
The astronomers behind the new study used several radio telescopes in Australia, USA, and China to individually observe about 1,650 massive stars that had been identified by the RMS Survey.
From their observations, the distances and luminosities of the massive stars were calculated, revealing a distribution across four spiral arms.
"It isn`t a case of our results being right and those from Spitzer`s data being wrong-both surveys were looking for different things," said Professor Hoare. "Spitzer only sees much cooler, lower mass stars-stars like our Sun-which are much more numerous than the massive stars that we were targeting."
The research has been published online in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (MNRAS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India