Mini space shuttle skids off runway in test flight
Cape Canaveral: A new, smaller version of NASA`s space shuttle is recuperating from a rough first landing.
The Dream Chaser space plane is being designed by Sierra Nevada Corp. It`s intended to one day carry space station astronauts.
The Nevada-based company tested a full-scale model at Edwards Air Force Base in California on Saturday. A helicopter dropped the unmanned craft from 12,500 feet. Everything worked well until the end, when the left landing gear deployed too late. The test vehicle skidded off the runway.
Company space systems chief Mark Sirangelo says damage was minor. He says the left gear was still attached and the tire wasn`t shredded.
Sirangelo says the mishap is likely due to mechanical failure. He says it shouldn`t delay plans for a piloted landing test next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble