Monster galaxies` appetite slows down with age
Washington: New research from NASA`s Spitzer Space Telescope and Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has found that, contrary to previous theories, gargantuan galaxies appear to slow their growth over time, feeding less and less off neighbouring galaxies.
"We`ve found that these massive galaxies may have started a diet in the last 5 billion years, and therefore have not gained much weight lately," Yen-Ting Lin of the Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan, lead author of the study, said.
Peter Eisenhardt, a co-author from NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said, "WISE and Spitzer are letting us see that there is a lot we do understand-but also a lot we don`t understand-about the mass of the most massive galaxies."
Eisenhardt identified the sample of galaxy clusters studied by Spitzer, and is the project scientist for WISE.
The new findings will help researchers understand how galaxy clusters-among the most massive structures in our universe-form and evolve.
Galaxy clusters are made up of thousands of galaxies, gathered around their biggest member, what astronomers call the brightest cluster galaxy, or BCG.
BCGs can be up to dozens of times the mass of galaxies like our own Milky Way.
They plump up in size by cannibalizing other galaxies, as well as assimilating stars that are funneled into the middle of a growing cluster.
The study is published in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das