Monster galaxies` appetite slows down with age
Washington: New research from NASA`s Spitzer Space Telescope and Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has found that, contrary to previous theories, gargantuan galaxies appear to slow their growth over time, feeding less and less off neighbouring galaxies.
"We`ve found that these massive galaxies may have started a diet in the last 5 billion years, and therefore have not gained much weight lately," Yen-Ting Lin of the Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan, lead author of the study, said.
Peter Eisenhardt, a co-author from NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said, "WISE and Spitzer are letting us see that there is a lot we do understand-but also a lot we don`t understand-about the mass of the most massive galaxies."
Eisenhardt identified the sample of galaxy clusters studied by Spitzer, and is the project scientist for WISE.
The new findings will help researchers understand how galaxy clusters-among the most massive structures in our universe-form and evolve.
Galaxy clusters are made up of thousands of galaxies, gathered around their biggest member, what astronomers call the brightest cluster galaxy, or BCG.
BCGs can be up to dozens of times the mass of galaxies like our own Milky Way.
They plump up in size by cannibalizing other galaxies, as well as assimilating stars that are funneled into the middle of a growing cluster.
The study is published in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Two years of Modi government: Key tasks yet to be fulfilled!
- Defiant Russia name dope-tainted Maria Sharapova in 2016 Rio Olympics tennis squad
- Sensex zooms 485 points to 7-month high; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark
- VHP accuses UP government of polarising people
- Sonal Chauhan, Ankit Tiwari's new song video 'Badtameez' is must watch for every heartbroken lover!