Moon, Mars, Aldebaran and the dazzling sky
Washington: There will be a great display of colours before dawn next week when the Moon passes a bright star and Mars.
According to the editors of StarDate magazine, the Moon stands closest to Aldebaran, the bright star known as the eye of Taurus, the bull, an hour before dawn on Tuesday the 26th in the eastern sky.
The Moon shines next to Mars in the east at the same time the following morning. Both Mars and Aldebaran glow orange, but right now Aldebaran is about twice as bright as Mars.
The Moon is painted in shades of white, gray, and black, and like a neon bulb, Aldebaran produces its own colour.
Mars doesn’t generate any light on its own. Instead, like the Moon, it shines by reflecting sunlight. The light strikes a surface that is painted in varying shades of orange, yellow, gray, and black.
Most of the orange and yellow are produced by fine-grained dust that contains a lot of iron oxide, better known as rust.
As Mars grows brighter later in the year, its colour will appear to grow more intense. By year’s end, you’ll see why it is called the Red Planet, as Mars provides one of the most vivid spots of colour in the night sky.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!