Moon-Venus occultation gives a rare treat to sky gazers
New Delhi: A rare celestial show greeted
sky gazers on Saturday with crescent Moon occulting gibbous planet
Venus in the sky theatre.
The phenomenon was observed in the afternoon sky when the
crescent Moon poised directly between the Venus and the Earth,
Director of Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) C B Devgun said.
An occultation is an event that occurs when one object is
hidden by another object that passes between it and the
In this case, the Moon came directly between Venus and
the Earth. Last time the occultation of Venus, popularly
known as Goddess of Love, took place in India was on June 18,
2007, and the next one will be on June 30, 2011.
Sky gazers were able to watch the celestial event between
3:30 PM and 5:18 PM. Astro-enthusiasts were seen watching the
celestial treat with naked eyes but some used a pair of
binoculars for its exact positioning, Devgun said.
At the start of the event, the Moon and Venus were well
above the horizon, and the Moon itself at about 30 degrees
east of the Sun. The Moon was visible in the western sky with
Venus a bit east of it.
As the phenomenon occurred in daytime, one was not be
able to see Venus going behind or coming out from behind the
moon, but after the sun set, the crescent moon close to bright
Venus in the west presented a beautiful sight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened