More experiments needed to confirm CERN`s finding
Hyderabad: More experimentation is needed on nuclear particle Neutrino to verify if its speed can exceed that of light, a leading scientist said today.
Findings by European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) on neutrinos show that the particle can exceed the speed of light, thus debunking Einstein`s Theory of Relativity, the bedrock of Physics for more than a century.
New experiments by CERN have revealed that the theory may have to be reviewed and modified.
Birla Science Centre Director Siddharth said the scientific community was waiting for new experimentation to be carried out, as a similar result observed in 2007 in the USA was later dismissed as "erroneous". Scientists are now performing the experiment again and Fermi National Laboratory in Chicago is working on this, he said.
"Why the findings of CERN result may be correct after all is because of my own theoretical work for more than a decade has shown that Einstein`s theory would require modification," he said.
He said that if the theory about existence of faster than light particles is proved correct, then it would have many implications for Physics.
"It would mean that the energy we get from nuclear reactor would be enhanced and existing models of particles will have to be changed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!