More indigenous components in second moon mission: ISRO
Coimbatore: Mylswamy Annadurai, Project Director of Chandrayan Mission II, ISRO, on Monday said that there would be more indigenous components in country’s second moon mission.
Annadurai was in the city to participate in the 30th convocation of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
Addressing the media on the sidelines of the function, Annadurai said: “This time we expect more indigenous components will be there. But of course, we don``t rule out Indo-Russian composition, which is already there, but may not be that many number of instruments what we carried there (Mission Chandrayaan I).”
“As of now India and Russia, others also trying to get in, but until we exhaust our own instruments we are not able to do it,” he added.
Annadurai further said that country’s second Moon Mission would consist of the spacecraft and a landing platform with two moon rovers.
He added that ISRO would use the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) in its second mission, which would be launched in 2012-13.
“This project is already in place and nearly Rs. 425 crores have been allotted for the budget provision for this Chandrayaan II Mission and scheduled to go for in 2012-13…another ISRO Mission Chndrayaan I was carried by PSLV whereas Chandrayaan II will be carried by GSLV,” Annadurai added.
He also informed that as opposed to Chandrayaan-1, which was a moon orbiter, Chandrayaan-II would have moon rovers and would be capable of actually landing on the moon surface.
India terminated its first mission to the moon in August 2009, a day after scientists lost all contact with the unmanned spacecraft orbiting the moon.
The 79 million dollar mission was launched amid national euphoria last October, putting India in the Asian space race alongside rival China and reinforcing its claim to be considered a global power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon