Mystery cloud spotted on Mars
Washington: Scientists are baffled by a bizarre phenomenon they observed on Mars last week.
Astrophotographer Wayne Jaeschke mentioned on his website about a “strange feature” over the Martian plain called Acidalia that moves with the planet and seems to rise over the limb.
NASA`s Mars Odyssey spacecraft will try to image the cloud with a camera that can take pictures in visible and infrared light at the same time.
“Our atmospheric researchers are pretty excited about the possibility of not only getting a good look at the cloud structures, but also their temperatures,” the Discovery News quoted Arizona State University astronomer Jonathon Hill as telling MSNBC.com.
Irrespective of whatever it is or was, the feature is diminishing in size.
“This has led some to believe that it was some sort of transient-type event,” Jaeschke said.
The list of culprits comprises a dust cloud from a meteorite impact, a massive storm system or just a trick of light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets