NASA discovers fast neutrons emitting from Sun`s outer layer
Washington: NASA`s MESSENGER spacecraft has discovered part of the outer layer of the Sun that is sending out modestly energetic subatomic particles called fast neutrons, which flowed past Mercury into space.
The researchers said that such charged particles twirl and gyrate around the magnetic field lines created by the vast magnetic systems that surround the Sun and Earth. Neutrons, however, not being electrically charged, travel in straight lines from the flaring region and can carry information about flare processes unperturbed by the environment through which they move.
Information provided by neutrons can be used by scientists to decipher one aspect of the complicated acceleration processes that are responsible for the creation of solar energetic particles.
David Lawrence of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab said that to understand all the processes on the Sun they look at as many different particles coming from the Sun as they can - photons, electrons, protons, neutrons, gamma rays - to gather different kinds of information.
Lawrence added that they can observe charged particles from the Sun closer to Earth we can, but analyzing them can be a challenge as their journey is affected by magnetic fields.
The researchers said that these neutrons form an exosphere above the corona that decay to a large swarm of equally energetic protons that in turn, expand along the magnetic field that is carried by the expanding solar atmosphere into interplanetary space.
The study was published in Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know