NASA finds mysterious hole appearing on solar surface
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: NASA scientists have found a square `hole` appearing on the surface of the Sun.
Discovered by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory, the hole is clearly visible and is made when solar winds pull away from the sun at a very high speed. It appears to flicker and spark as it rotates.
The coronal hole appears dark because there is less material emitting light in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum used to make the video, NASA astronomers said in a video description.
"Inside the coronal hole you can see bright loops where the hot plasma outlines little pieces of the solar magnetic field sticking above the surface," they said.
"Because it is positioned so far south on the Sun, there is less chance that the solar wind stream will impact us here on Earth," they added.
The event took place on March 29.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives
- Indian tablet market grew 14.4% in Q2 2016; Datawind continues domination
- From waiter to an Olympian in Rio: This is India's unsung hero Manish Rawat's story – HATS OFF!
- Do you know how harmful leading a sedentary lifestyle is? - Read
- HILARIOUS! Indian Twitter roasts Sanjay Manjrekar for siding with Piers Morgan