NASA finds mysterious hole appearing on solar surface
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: NASA scientists have found a square `hole` appearing on the surface of the Sun.
Discovered by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory, the hole is clearly visible and is made when solar winds pull away from the sun at a very high speed. It appears to flicker and spark as it rotates.
The coronal hole appears dark because there is less material emitting light in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum used to make the video, NASA astronomers said in a video description.
"Inside the coronal hole you can see bright loops where the hot plasma outlines little pieces of the solar magnetic field sticking above the surface," they said.
"Because it is positioned so far south on the Sun, there is less chance that the solar wind stream will impact us here on Earth," they added.
The event took place on March 29.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part IV
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- Chhattisgarh using only its share of Mahanadi water: Raman Singh
- Assembly elections: AAP to release 'Dalit Manifestos' in Punjab, Gujarat, Goa
- Kolkata teenager's death: Police look for answers
- SP government not following Lohia, women unsafe in UP: Nitish
- Over 3,000 migrants dead in Mediterranean so far in 2016