NASA finds mysterious hole appearing on solar surface
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: NASA scientists have found a square `hole` appearing on the surface of the Sun.
Discovered by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory, the hole is clearly visible and is made when solar winds pull away from the sun at a very high speed. It appears to flicker and spark as it rotates.
The coronal hole appears dark because there is less material emitting light in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum used to make the video, NASA astronomers said in a video description.
"Inside the coronal hole you can see bright loops where the hot plasma outlines little pieces of the solar magnetic field sticking above the surface," they said.
"Because it is positioned so far south on the Sun, there is less chance that the solar wind stream will impact us here on Earth," they added.
The event took place on March 29.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users