NASA increases odds of killer 1,300-foot-wide asteroid`s chances of hitting Earth in 2032
Washington: The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has reportedly revealed that the chances of the 1,300-foot-wide asteroid impacting Earth have increased following ongoing investigations.
Earlier the space agency had estimated a chance of 1 in 63,000 of the asteroid hitting Earth, and astronomers had speculated the risk to reduce even further.
However, instead of the expected reduction, the NASA`s Near-Earth Object Program has increased the likelihood that the asteroid will strike Earth is closer to 1 in 9,090, CBS News reports.
On October 8, a team of Ukrainian astronomers had discovered the asteroid expected to pass close to Earth in August 2032.
According to the report, the asteroid 2013 TV135 is one of the two asteroids that currently rank a 1 on the Torino Scale, which measures asteroid impact hazards.
Despite the upgraded risk, NASA remains 99.989 percent certain that asteroid 2013 TV135 will complete a safe flyby, compared to the original 99.992 percent certainty.
Don Yeomans of the NASA program had earlier said that the risk will likely decrease as even more observations come in, because calculating the path of an asteroid 19 years out is not exactly cut and dry.
As astronomers investigate further, the area where the asteroid will potentially be will decrease and if the area still overlaps with Earth`s orbit, the likelihood of impact will increase, because it is a smaller ratio within the space.
The report said that if at all the asteroid collides with Earth it will strike with the force of 2,500 megatons of TNT, making it 50 times more powerful that the largest nuclear bomb that has ever been set off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured