NASA mulling week-long Mars mission simulation for ISS
Washington: NASA is planning to use the International Space Station to prepare for a human mission to Mars, beginning with a planned week-long simulation to be staged next summer.
Initial studies would focus on figuring out effective and safe ways for NASA``s ever-present Mission Control to give the astronauts more autonomy.
"We want to use the space station as a way to get smarter about what a mission to Mars or a mission to an asteroid might look like," space station flight controller Pete Hasbrook told Discovery News.
The simulation on the station would be the first step in a series of increasingly more complicated and realistic Mars-like operations.
One proposal is to have space station astronauts participate in ground simulations immediately upon their return to Earth, before they have had a chance to recondition their bodies after six months in weightlessness.
Six months is about how long it will take to get to Mars with existing technology.
"Rather than just going up (on the station) for six months and landing and having a whole support staff to help you, which is the norm right now, we``d have them actually do a mission that shows they are physically capable of performing tasks after spending six months in microgravity and then landing on the surface of a planet," Chris Carberry, founder and executive director of the Explore Mars advocacy group, told Discovery News.
Though gravity on Earth is stronger than on Mars, combining a six-month stay on the space station with a post-flight simulation on Earth would be valuable learning experience, he said.
"I think something even as long as a month (post-flight) would be useful," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged