NASA picks May 14 launch for Atlantis` last flight
Cape Canaveral: Space shuttle Atlantis is set to blast off on its final flight next week, heading to the International Space Station, carrying up a crew of six and a load of supplies.
NASA`s top managers agreed yesterday to set May 14 as the launch date. Liftoff would be at 2:20 pm (local time).
Much of the payload is crammed inside a Russian-built module that will be attached permanently to the orbiting lab complex. The astronauts will venture out on three spacewalks to plug in fresh batteries and tack on a spare antenna.
The 12-day mission is scheduled to be the last for Atlantis. NASA is retiring its three shuttles at the end of this year. After this flight, only two will be left.
But Atlantis won`t be dismantled and head to a museum when the flight is over.
Instead, the spaceship will be prepped for a potential rescue mission for NASA`s very last shuttle flight. That final trip, by Endeavour, is scheduled for November at the earliest.
Discovery is supposed to make its last trip in September.
At a news conference, NASA`s shuttle program manager noted that the mission comes on the heels of Discovery`s recently completed trip to the space station.
"It`s 15 days since we last landed. Nine days until we launch," program manager John Shannon said. "This is the kind of pace that this team thrives on."
Launch director Mike Leinbach said shuttle workers are not distracted by the end of the program - at least not while they`re on the job. Any venting is saved for lunch time or the
end of the day, he said.
President Barack Obama visited Kennedy Space Center on April 15, laying out a strategy for sending astronauts to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars by 2035.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert