NASA releases Earth Day `Global Selfie` mosaic
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: NASA has released a new picture of the Earth planet created entirely from more than 36,000 individual self-portraits.
On Earth Day (May 22) this year, NASA had asked people around the world to take a `selfie`- photograph of themselves and share it with the world on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Google + and Flickr using the hashtag #GlobalSelfie.
The “Global Selfie” mosaic was built using 36,422 individual photographs drawn from the more than 50,000 images tagged #GlobalSelfie and posted on or around Earth Day on April 22.
The resulting global mosaic is a zoomable 3.2-gigapixel image that users can scan and explore to look at individual photos. The Global Selfie was assembled after several weeks of collecting and curating the submitted images.
“With the Global Selfie, NASA used crowd-sourced digital imagery to illustrate a different aspect of Earth than has been measured from satellites for decades: a mosaic of faces from around the globe,” said Peg Luce, deputy director of the Earth Science Division in the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters, Washington.
“We were overwhelmed to see people participate from so many countries. We`re very grateful that people took the time to celebrate our home planet together, and we look forward to everyone doing their part to be good stewards of our precious Earth.”
The Global Selfie mosaic and related images and videos are available at: http://go.nasa.gov/1n4y8qp.
You can also zoom in to get a closer look at the individual photographs.
The Global Selfie is part of a special year for NASA Earth science. NASA`s Earth science program is designed to develop a scientific understanding of Earth`s system and its response to natural or human-induced changes, and to improve prediction of climate, weather, and natural hazards.
For the first time in more than a decade, five NASA Earth Science missions are scheduled to launch in 2014, in a bid to understand more about our home planet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom