NASA releases GIF image of comet ISON
Zee Media Bureau\Philaso G Kaping
New Delhi: Images of comets ISON and 2P/Encke on their journey through the solar system have been released by the US space agency.
These images, captured by NASA`s Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, or STEREO, show ISON still intact as it trails behind 2P/Encke.
“Comet ISON entered the field of view of the HI-1 camera on NASA`s Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory, or STEREO, on Nov. 21, 2013, and the comet shows up clearly, appearing to still be intact,” said NASA.
Officially named C/2012 S1, Comet ISON was first spotted by Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok 585 million miles away in September 2012.
This is ISON`s first journey into the inner solar system and will reach the perihelion (closest approach to the Sun) on 28 November (Encke has already reached the perihelion on 21 November).
NASA is inviting space enthusiasts to participate in observing the event at the popular social media site Google+Hangout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'