NASA testing lighter, more mobile spacesuits for asteroid mission spacewalks
Washington: NASA is talking steps to make spacewalking on an asteroid a reality, as it is testing lighter and more mobile spacesuits for astronauts.
At its Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory in Houston, the agency has been experimenting with a modified version of its iconic orange Advanced Crew Escape System (ACES) suit that would be suitable for the asteroid excursion.
The big, bulky Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU) suits worn by astronauts on the International Space Station are simply too large for the limited space inside the Orion spacecraft that the mission would be using, so the team is trying to make the ACES suit better suited for deep space exploration, which includes making it more mobile.
The tweaks are being made to create a suit that can be used both in and outside of the spacecraft.
"We`re stepping back to our heritage to be able to use one suit for multiple tasks," crew survival systems manager Dustin Gohmert, said.
NASA previously revealed its Buzz Lightyear-esque Z-1 spacesuit concept earlier this year, and said that it could be ready for a variety of missions as early as 2015 - but it seems that it`s not quite the right fit for the asteroid mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India