NASA tests 3D printed rocket engine component
Washington: US space agency NASA has said it has successfully conducted a hot-fire test on the largest 3D printed rocket engine component it has.
The Aug 22 test, which generated a record 20,000 pounds (9 tonnes) of thrust, is "a milestone" for one of many important advances the agency is making to reduce the cost of space hardware, Xinhua reported citing the space agency.
The component tested during the engine firing is an injector that delivers propellants to power an engine. During the test, liquid oxygen and gaseous hydrogen passed through the component into a combustion chamber and produced 10 times more thrust than any injector previously fabricated using 3D printing, NASA said Tuesday.
Early data from the test indicated that the injector "worked flawlessly" at pressures up to 1,400 pounds per square inch (984,300 kilograms per square meter) and at almost 6,000 degrees Fahrenheit (3,316 degrees Celsius).
"This successful test of a 3D printed rocket injector brings NASA significantly closer to proving this innovative technology that can be used to reduce the cost of flight hardware," said Chris Singer, director of the engineering directorate at NASA`s Marshall Space Flight Center, in a statement.
NASA said it seeks to advance technologies such as 3D printing to make every aspect of space exploration more cost-effective.
Currently, NASA is also working to develop and test a 3D printer that will soon print tools for the crew of the International Space Station. NASA is even exploring the possibility of printing food for long-duration space missions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price