NASA to begin construction of new Mars rover InSight
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: NASA will begin work on its new rover that will examine the deep interior of the Mars. The US space agency have got the approval to start constructing the third Mars lander along with its global partners after it passed a Mission Critical Design Review last week.
The third rover, Interior Exploration Using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport (InSight) is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California in March 2016. This will be the first interplanetary mission ever to launch from California.
InSight will investigate how Earth-like planets formed and developed their layered inner structure of core, mantle and crust, and will collect information about those interior zones using instruments never before used on the Red Planet.
Equipped with robotic arms, the rover will have two new instruments: the Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure and the Heat Flow and Physical Properties package.
During its 720 days mission- about two years in Mars, InSight rover will provide information with the help of its new tools.
The mission will help inform the agency’s goal of sending a human mission to Mars in the 2030s.
“Our partners across the globe have made significant progress in getting to this point and are fully prepared to deliver their hardware to system integration starting this November, which is the next major milestone for the project,” said Tom Hoffman, InSight Project Manager of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Pasadena, California. “We now move from doing the design and analysis to building and testing the hardware and software that will get us to Mars and collect the science that we need to achieve mission success.”
InSight`s international science team comprised of of researchers from Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption