NASA to turn astronauts into fashionistas!
New York: The next space suit for a NASA astronaut may resemble some Hollywood characters as the US space agency is all set to turn budding astronauts into cool dudes!
The space agency would decide the design of its latest space suits depending upon votes which resemble outer space creatures like the `Troll` in “The Lord of the Rings,” deep sea favourite the `Angler` fish or perhaps a member of the `Doctor Who` extraterrestrial race “Sontarans”, said a NASA statement.
The US space agency has released three different models for the `Z2` surface-specific planetary mobility suit - featuring futuristic design elements like electro-luminescent wire and abrasion resistant panels.
According to NASA`s Johnson Space Center, online votes would choose the design of its latest space suits which look like nothing ever seen before on earth.
NASA plans to include “bright colour schemes to mimic the appearance of sportswear and the emerging world of wearable technologies".
The suits are confined to training use and are not made of space-safe material, providing only abrasion/snag protection and a cover for technical details.
“For a flight suit which is actually used for a spacewalk, the cover layer performs many other important functions such as micrometeorite, thermal and radiation protection," NASA added.
Astronauts train in the non-flight `Z2` and its predecessor the `Z1`, conducting tests in NASA`s vacuum chambers and in the neutral bouyancy lab - both of which simulate aspects of space walking.
Voting is open until midnight April 15 while a final suit is scheduled to be completed by November 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31