NASA to use moon capsule for other space missions
Houston: NASA has unveiled a new look and name for its previously planned moon capsule.
The crew capsule named Orion was a cornerstone of former President George W Bush`s plan to return astronauts to the moon. A year ago, President Barack Obama scrapped the moon mission but saved Orion, possibly for an escape pod at the International Space Station.
Tuesday`s announcement gives the spacecraft a new name the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. NASA says the capsule will carry four astronauts on 21-day missions and will be able to land in the Pacific Ocean.
Its destination would be beyond Earth`s orbit, perhaps to an asteroid.
Still in development is a giant rocket that would send the capsule away from Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details