NASA to use moon capsule for other space missions
Houston: NASA has unveiled a new look and name for its previously planned moon capsule.
The crew capsule named Orion was a cornerstone of former President George W Bush`s plan to return astronauts to the moon. A year ago, President Barack Obama scrapped the moon mission but saved Orion, possibly for an escape pod at the International Space Station.
Tuesday`s announcement gives the spacecraft a new name the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. NASA says the capsule will carry four astronauts on 21-day missions and will be able to land in the Pacific Ocean.
Its destination would be beyond Earth`s orbit, perhaps to an asteroid.
Still in development is a giant rocket that would send the capsule away from Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?