NASA to use moon capsule for other space missions
Houston: NASA has unveiled a new look and name for its previously planned moon capsule.
The crew capsule named Orion was a cornerstone of former President George W Bush`s plan to return astronauts to the moon. A year ago, President Barack Obama scrapped the moon mission but saved Orion, possibly for an escape pod at the International Space Station.
Tuesday`s announcement gives the spacecraft a new name the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. NASA says the capsule will carry four astronauts on 21-day missions and will be able to land in the Pacific Ocean.
Its destination would be beyond Earth`s orbit, perhaps to an asteroid.
Still in development is a giant rocket that would send the capsule away from Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?