NASA`s Cassini spies bright Venus from Saturn orbit
Washington: The Earth`s twin planet, Venus shines like a bright beacon in images taken by NASA`s Cassini spacecraft, which is spying the bright, cloudy terrestrial planet from Saturn orbit.
Last November Cassini took a special image of Venus and Saturn when it was placed in the shadow of Saturn. This allowed Cassini to look in the direction of the Sun and Venus, and take a backlit image of Saturn and its rings in a special viewing geometry called "high solar phase."
This observing position reveals details about the rings and Saturn`s atmosphere that cannot be seen in lower solar phase.
One of the Venus and Saturn images being released now is a combination of separate red, green and blue images covering the planet and main rings and processed to produce true colour. Last December, a false-color version of the mosaic was released.
Another image, taken in January, captures Venus just beyond the limb of Saturn and in close proximity to Saturn`s G ring, a thin ring just beyond the main Saturnian rings.
The diffuse E ring, which is outside of the G ring and created by the spray of the moon Enceladus, also is visible.
Venus is, along with Mercury, Earth, and Mars, one of the rocky "terrestrial" planets in the solar system that orbit relatively close to the Sun.
Though Venus has an atmosphere of carbon dioxide that reaches nearly 900 degrees Fahrenheit (500 degrees Celsius) and a surface pressure 100 times that of Earth`s, it is considered a twin to our planet because of their similar sizes, masses, rocky compositions, and close orbits. It is covered in thick sulfuric acid clouds, making it very bright.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report