NASA`s Cassini spies bright Venus from Saturn orbit
Washington: The Earth`s twin planet, Venus shines like a bright beacon in images taken by NASA`s Cassini spacecraft, which is spying the bright, cloudy terrestrial planet from Saturn orbit.
Last November Cassini took a special image of Venus and Saturn when it was placed in the shadow of Saturn. This allowed Cassini to look in the direction of the Sun and Venus, and take a backlit image of Saturn and its rings in a special viewing geometry called "high solar phase."
This observing position reveals details about the rings and Saturn`s atmosphere that cannot be seen in lower solar phase.
One of the Venus and Saturn images being released now is a combination of separate red, green and blue images covering the planet and main rings and processed to produce true colour. Last December, a false-color version of the mosaic was released.
Another image, taken in January, captures Venus just beyond the limb of Saturn and in close proximity to Saturn`s G ring, a thin ring just beyond the main Saturnian rings.
The diffuse E ring, which is outside of the G ring and created by the spray of the moon Enceladus, also is visible.
Venus is, along with Mercury, Earth, and Mars, one of the rocky "terrestrial" planets in the solar system that orbit relatively close to the Sun.
Though Venus has an atmosphere of carbon dioxide that reaches nearly 900 degrees Fahrenheit (500 degrees Celsius) and a surface pressure 100 times that of Earth`s, it is considered a twin to our planet because of their similar sizes, masses, rocky compositions, and close orbits. It is covered in thick sulfuric acid clouds, making it very bright.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital