NASA`s Curiosity Rover begins epic drive to Mars mountain
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Nasa`s Curiosity Mars rover has finally hit the road and has begun its long awaited journey to reach its primary mission destination - foothills of Mount Sharp, a journey that will take months to complete. Mount Sharp is a mysterious mountain that rises 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometers) into the Red Planet sky.
Investigations had been on since the past seven months and were primarily centered around the site just east of its August 2012 touchdown point. The investigation included drilling rocks and analysing their composition.
Curiosity rover weighing 1-ton took its first steps toward the foothills of Mount Sharp on July 4 and then made another drive in that direction on Sunday (July 7), NASA officials said.
On Friday, engineers commanded the vehicle to make an 18m drive. On Monday it travelled 40m. Curiosity is headed toward a spot about 5 miles (8 km) away that will afford it’s access to Mount Sharp`s lower reaches. This particular area is the rover`s ultimate science destination; the mission team wants Curiosity to climb up through the mountain`s foothills.
Long bank of sand dunes might represent a potential trap for the rover. The intention also is to get to a specific site where satellites have indicated there are layers of sediment that were most likely laid down in water.
The estimated time to reach Mount Sharp might take a year according to Mission officials though they stress that there is no rigid timeline. Progress will depend on what Curiosity finds along the way, they say.
"We are on a mission of exploration," Curiosity project manager Jim Erickson, of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., told reporters last month. "If we come across scientifically interesting areas, we are going to stop and examine them before continuing the journey."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India