NASA`s Curiosity rover sends high-resolution pic of 1909 VDB penny
Washington: An instrument that is on NASA`s Curiosity rover has sent back an ultra high-resolution photograph of a penny that the rover carried to Mars.
The coin was photographed by the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) aboard Curiosity in northern Gale crater on Mars.
The penny, a 1909 VDB penny minted in Philadelphia during the first year that Lincoln cents became available, is part of the MAHLI calibration target and came from Earth.
The images were acquired on Oct. 2, on sol 411 -- the 411th Martian day-of the mission.
At 13.9 micrometers per pixel, this is the highest resolution image that the MAHLI can acquire, R. Aileen Yingst, Planetary Science Institute Senior Scientist and deputy Principal Investigator for MAHLI, said.
This image was obtained as part of a test; it was the first time that the rover`s robotic arm placed the MAHLI close enough to a target to obtain MAHLI`s highest-possible resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror