NASA`s Curiosity upgrading software for smart driving
Washington: NASA`s Mars rover Curiosity will be spending its first weekend on the Red planet transitioning to software better suited for tasks ahead, such as driving and using its strong robotic arm, it has been revealed.
The rover`s “brain transplant,” which will occur during a series of steps from Aug. 10 through Aug. 13, will install a new version of software on both of the rover`s redundant main computers.
This software for Mars surface operations was uploaded to the rover`s memory during the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft`s flight from Earth.
“We designed the mission from the start to be able to upgrade the software as needed for different phases of the mission,” Ben Cichy of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., chief software engineer for the Mars Science Laboratory mission, said.
“The flight software version Curiosity currently is using was really focused on landing the vehicle. It includes many capabilities we just don`t need any more. It gives us basic capabilities for operating the rover on the surface, but we have planned all along to switch over after landing to a version of flight software that is really optimized for surface operations,” he said.
A key capability in the new version is image processing to check for obstacles.
This allows for longer drives by giving the rover more autonomy to identify and avoid potential hazards and drive along a safe path the rover identifies for itself.
Other new capabilities facilitate use of the tools at the end of the rover`s robotic arm.
While Curiosity is completing the software transition, the mission`s science team is continuing to analyze images that the rover has taken of its surroundings inside Gale Crater.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing