NASA`s Hubble finds Pluto`s 5th moon
Los Angeles: Scientists announced on Wednesday about the finding of the smallest yet fifth moon circling the dwarf planet Pluto.
The smallest moon was discovered by a team of scientists who used the Hubble Space Telescope to explore Pluto’s neighborhood ahead of a NASA spacecraft, New Horizons, scheduled to arrive in 2015.
“We’re not finished searching yet," said Hal Weaver of Johns Hopkins University, who thinks there may be more lurking.
The newfound moon which is known as P5 until it gets a proper name - appeared as a faint fleck in the Hubble images. The mini-moon is estimated to be 6 to 15 miles across, smaller than the still nameless one that scientists spotted last year, which is 8 to 21 miles wide. P5 could help shed light on how the Pluto system formed and evolved.
While, Pluto’s largest moon, the 650-mile-wide Charon, was discovered in 1978, its two smaller moons, Nix and Hydra, were found in 2005.
The moons are considered to have formed after an ancient collision between Pluto and an object in the Kuiper Belt, a disk teeming with small bodies that lies beyond the orbit of Neptune.
Names for the new moon and last year’s discovery will not be proposed until the team finishes analyzing the Hubble data in case there are more hidden moons, said Mark Showalter of the SETI Institute.
Showalter also said that he favors names that go together - like the mythological Greek couple Orpheus and Eurydice.
“If we happen to find more moons, then we will have to pick a different story from Greek mythology,” he said in an email.
Pluto, which was discovered in 1930 by the American astronomer Clyde Tombaugh was regarded as the ninth planet in the Solar System. However, it was recategorised as a ‘dwarf planet’ due to the discovery that it is only one of several large bodies within the Kuiper belt.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door