NASA’s rover Curiosity find `Australia` on Mars
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: In a fascinating finding, NASA’s rover Curiosity`s camera has spotted a rock on Mars that looks like Australia.
As Curiosity`s navigating camera beamed the image back to NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory near Los Angeles, the space agency rapidly uploaded it to Curiosity`s raw image library, available for online visitors to see.
The discovery makes more interesting and coincidental because Curiosity is working in a location of Mars called “Kimberley”, named after the Western Australian region.
The mission is currently studying rocks in the “Kimberley” area that may provide further clues to the red planet’s past habitability and ancient geology.
It said the location has been eyed by mission scientists for over a year suspecting it will be a science treasure trove.
“This is the spot on the map we’ve been headed for, on a little rise that gives us a great view for context imaging of the outcrops at the Kimberley,” said Melissa Rice of the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, in a statement.
With its arrival in the Kimberley, NASA`s Mars rover has so far travelled some 3.8 miles since its Martian landing in August of 2012.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video