NASA`s spacecraft sending new info from Saturn`s moons
Washington: NASA`s longstanding Cassini mission to Saturn continues to provide scientists with exciting new insights on moons Titan and Enceladus as well as the planet`s striking rings.
"Cassini, our emissary in the Saturn system since 2004, and the only spacecraft in orbit in the outer solar system, is still going strong," Planetary Science Institute Senior Scientist Amanda R. Hendrix said.
"Cassini`s longevity allows the study of seasonal variations, along with temporal variations on a variety of scales-and its suite of 12 instruments is making complementary measurements, providing insight into different aspects of various scientific discoveries," Hendrix, an investigator on the Cassini mission, said.
These areas of study include Titan`s lakes: composition, depth and seasonal variability; Titan`s weather patterns; the interior structure of Titan; Enceladus` startling plume activity; surprises on the other moons, such as Iapetus, Dione and Mimas; and Saturn`s bizarre collection of small moons.
Cassini will remain in orbit around Saturn until September 2017. The spacecraft began increasing its orbital inclination again last year, allowing for prime viewing of the magnificent rings, as well as the high latitudes of the planet and Titan.
The first glimpses of Titan`s surface were provided by the Huygens probe, launched as part of the Cassini-Huygens mission.
The probe was released in late 2004 and made its way through the hazy atmosphere of Titan to the surface in January 2005.
Images of Titan`s surface-including its amazing lakes, dunes and river channels-continue to be returned by Cassini`s radar instrument, along with the imaging camera and the infrared mapping spectrometer.
The remaining instruments in Cassini`s payload study the atmosphere, and its seasonal variations, while the radio science antenna makes measurements of Titan`s interior structure and its subsurface ocean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar