NASA’s WISE mission discovers ‘horseshoe’ asteroid
Washington: An asteroid, which has recently been discovered by NASA’s Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE), is a bit different from most near-Earth asteroids (NEAs).
The orbit of the new object, designated 2010 SO16, is almost circular such that it cannot come close to any other planet in the solar system except Earth.
However, even though the asteroid rides around with Earth, it never gets that close.
“It keeps well away from Earth,” said Apostolos “Tolis” Christou, who, together with David Asher of the Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland, analyzed the orbit of the body after it was discovered in infrared images taken by WISE.
“So well, in fact, that it has likely been in this orbit for several hundred thousand years, never coming closer to our planet than 50 times the distance to the Moon,” added Christou.
The asteroid is one of a few that trace out a horseshoe shape relative to Earth. As the asteroid approaches Earth, the planet’s gravity mcauses the object to shift back into a larger orbit that takes longer to go around the Sun than Earth. Alternately, as Earth catches up with the asteroid, the planet’s gravity causes it to fall into a closer orbit that takes less time to go around the Sun than Earth. The asteroid therefore never completely passes our planet. This slingshot-like effect results in a horseshoe-shaped path as seen from Earth, in which 2010 SO16 takes 175 years to get from one end of the horseshoe to the other.
Data on the orbits of asteroids and comets detected by the project, including near-Earth objects, are catalogued at the NASA-funded International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center, at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Mass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble