Neil Armstrong honoured by crewmates and fellow workers
Washington: The `first man to walk on moon`, Neil Armstrong was honoured by his fellow workers and crewmates during a memorial service at the Johnson Space centre.
The memorial service recalling Armstrong, who has come to `represent human face and human spirit of the Apollo program`, was attended by scores of current and former astronauts, flight directors, flight controllers and engineers, CBS News reports.
Apollo 11 crewmate to Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin who became the second man to walk on moon expressed his gratefulness to Armstrong for having guided him and called him an epitome of a space man, the best test pilot America has ever seen.
Another crewmate Michael Collins remembered Armstrong as a `consummate decision maker who took all accolades but never showed any sign of arrogance`.
Gerry Griffin, an Apollo flight director said that Armstrong had a unique, hard-to-define ability to capture the essence of an issue, prompting everyone in the room to pay attention.
Collins said that Armstrong usually showed up to the occasions when other Apollo flights were honoured and made very clear that the success of Apollo 11 was due to its predecessors and those that followed.
Armstrong died last year in August at the age of 82 due to complications following surgery.
His family including his wife during the NASA years and his sons attended the ceremony where a tree was planted in his honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31