New celestial object blurs line between planets and brown dwarfs
Washington: A new celestial object, located nearly 500 light years away from the Sun, has challenged traditional understandings about how planets and stars form.
The object is located near and likely orbiting a very young star about 440 light years away from the Sun, and is leading astrophysicists to believe that there is not an easy-to-define line between what is and is not a planet.
Lead author Thayne Currie, a post-doctoral fellow in University of Toronto`s Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics, said that they have very detailed measurements of this object spanning seven years, even a spectrum revealing its gravity, temperature, and molecular composition, and still they can`t determine whether it is a planet or a `brown dwarf,` asserting that depending on what measurement you consider, the answer could be either.
Named ROXs 42Bb for it`s proximity to the star ROXs 42B, the object is approximately nine times the mass of Jupiter, below the limit most astronomers use to separate planets from brown dwarfs, which are more massive.
However, it is located 30 times further away from the star than Jupiter is from the Sun.
Currie says that the new object starts to blur this distinction between planets and brown dwarf s, and may lie within and begin to fill the gap.
The study has been published in Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state