New pic reveals details of violent collisions involving at least four galaxy clusters
Washington: Astronomers using the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA) and the Chandra X-Ray Observatory have produced a spectacular image that reveals new details of violent collisions involving at least four clusters of galaxies.
Combined with an earlier image from NASA`s Hubble Space Telescope (HST), the new observations show a complex region more than 5 billion light-years from Earth where the collisions are triggering a host of phenomena that scientists still are working to understand.
The HST image forms the background of this composite, with the X-ray emission detected by Chandra in blue and radio emission seen by the VLA in red. The X-rays indicate hot, tenuous gas that pervades the region containing the galaxy clusters.
The large, oddly-shaped red feature at the center probably is a region where shocks caused by the collisions are accelerating particles that then interact with magnetic fields and emit the radio waves.
Reinout van Weeren , an Einstein Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said the complex shape of this region is unique; we`ve never spotted anything like this before, adding that the shape probably is the result of the multiple ongoing collisions.
The new radio and X-ray observations are much more sensitive than previous ones, the scientists said. The combination of these images will make this region one of the best-studied examples of cluster-cluster collisions yet known, and can yield new insights on the complex interactions during cluster mergers. Together, the merging clusters are called MACS J0717+3745, which also is one of the HST Frontier Fields for which HST will produce the deepest observations ever.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read