New study suggests supervolcanoes erupted on ancient Mars
Zee Media Bureau
London: New images of the Red planet released by NASA suggest possible ancient supervolcanoes on Mars. The supervolcanoes are similar to the caldera that sits under Yellowstone National Park.
What`s different about this supervolcano network is that it was found in the Martian northern highlands, a place not known to be active in the past.
The finding described in the issue of the journal Nature suggests that early Mars was more active than previously realized, and that such eruptions could have affected the red planet`s climate and atmosphere.
Supervolcanoes, which can spew out thousands of times more magma than regular volcanoes, erupt with such force that they do not leave mountains of lava.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death