New theory suggests our universe may eventually grind to a halt
London: A theory put forward by researchers working at two Spanish universities has challenged the popular adage that time speeds up as we age.
The radical theory by academics suggests that time itself could be slowing down - and may eventually grind to a halt altogether in billions of years time.
The latest mind-bending findings propose that we have all been fooled into thinking the universe is expanding.
According to scientists, the gradual loss of time is not noticeable to the human eye.
And they say, we’ll all be long gone by the time time really does end.
“Everything will be frozen, like a snapshot of one instant, forever. Our planet will be long gone by then,” the Daily Mail quoted Professor Senovilla as telling New Scientist magazine.
Scientists have previously measured the light from distant exploding stars to show that the universe is expanding at a rapid rate.
The accepted theory is based on the idea that a kind of anti-gravitational force - known as ‘dark energy’- must be driving galaxies apart.
However, the scientists working on the latest theory say that we’re looking at thing backwards.
And Senovilla proposes that the current assumption has got it all wrong - with the appearance of acceleration instead caused by time gradually slowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption