New theory suggests our universe may eventually grind to a halt
London: A theory put forward by researchers working at two Spanish universities has challenged the popular adage that time speeds up as we age.
The radical theory by academics suggests that time itself could be slowing down - and may eventually grind to a halt altogether in billions of years time.
The latest mind-bending findings propose that we have all been fooled into thinking the universe is expanding.
According to scientists, the gradual loss of time is not noticeable to the human eye.
And they say, we’ll all be long gone by the time time really does end.
“Everything will be frozen, like a snapshot of one instant, forever. Our planet will be long gone by then,” the Daily Mail quoted Professor Senovilla as telling New Scientist magazine.
Scientists have previously measured the light from distant exploding stars to show that the universe is expanding at a rapid rate.
The accepted theory is based on the idea that a kind of anti-gravitational force - known as ‘dark energy’- must be driving galaxies apart.
However, the scientists working on the latest theory say that we’re looking at thing backwards.
And Senovilla proposes that the current assumption has got it all wrong - with the appearance of acceleration instead caused by time gradually slowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!