Newly discovered exoplanet may have water
Washington: Scientists have suggested that the newly discovered planet Corot-9b is temperate enough to allow the presence of liquid water.
Corot-9b was found on 16 May 2008 and orbits its star every 95.274 days, a little longer than Mercury takes to go round the Sun.
It is the first transiting planet to have both a longer period and a near-circular orbit.
A transit is a kind of eclipse and occurs when a celestial body passes in front of its host star and blocks some but not all of the star’s light.
Corot-9b’s orbit is slightly elliptical but at closest approach to its parent star it reaches a distance of 54 million kilometers.
Although that is only about the distance of Mercury in our Solar System, it is by far the largest orbit of any transiting planet found so far.
Because it orbits a star cooler than our Sun, calculations estimate that Corot-9b’s temperature could lie somewhere between -23 degrees C and 157 degrees C.
Corot-9b has a radius around 1.05 times that of Jupiter but only 84 percent of the mass. This leads to a density of 0.90 g/cc, or 68 percent that of Jupiter.
“Corot-9b is the first exoplanet that is definitely similar to a planet in our Solar System,” said Hans Deeg, a researcher at the Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias.
The similarity is caused by the fact that Corot-9b is sufficiently far from its star to prevent tidal forces from heating its interior.
Tidal forces are created by the strength of gravity weakening from the front to back of the celestial body.
When the difference between the near side and the far side is great, the tidal force can prevent the planet from spinning quickly, forcing it to only show one face to the star.
It can also provide heat to the interior of the planet, changing its physical condition.
Based on calculations, neither of these is possible in this case.
“Although we don’t know, because we can’t see the planet directly, there is reason to believe that this planet has a normal day-night cycle,” said Malcolm Fridlund, ESA Project Scientist for Corot.
It means that lacking a tidal heat source, Corot-9b’s interior is likely to have remained similar to the gas giants in our Solar System.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly