Newly discovered `hypervelocity star` could provide clues about `dark matter`
Washington: Researchers have discovered a "hypervelocity star" that is the closest, second-brightest and among the largest of 20 found so far.
According to astronomers, speeding at more than 1 million miles per hour (mph), the star may provide clues about the supermassive black hole at the center of our Milky Way and the halo of mysterious "dark matter" surrounding the galaxy.
Zheng Zheng, an assistant professor of physics and astronomy and lead author of the study, said the hypervelocity star tells us a lot about our galaxy-especially its center and the dark matter halo.
Zheng said that they can`t see the dark matter halo, but its gravity acts on the star, asserting that they gain insight from the star`s trajectory and velocity, which are affected by gravity from different parts of Milky Way.
Zheng and his colleagues discovered the new hypervelocity star while conducting other research into stars with the Large Sky Area Multi-Object Fiber Spectroscopic Telescope, or LAMOST, located at the Xinglong Observing Station of the National Astronomical Observatories of China, about 110 miles northeast of Beijing.
Despite being the closest hypervelocity star, it nonetheless is 249 quadrillion miles from Earth. (In U.S. usage, a quadrillion is 1,000,000,000,000,000 miles, or 10 to the 15th power, or 1 million billion.)
A cluster of known hypervelocity stars, including the new one, is located above the disk of our Milky Way galaxy, and their distribution in the sky suggests they originated near the galaxy`s center, Zheng says.
The study has been published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery