Next manned ISS mission to launch May 15: Russia
Moscow: Russia said on Thursday that its delayed next manned mission to the International Space Station (ISS) would blast off May 15, 45 days later than its scheduled date, after a problem was found in testing.
"The launch is set for May 15," the head of the Russian space agency`s manned programmes, Alexei Krasnov, told the Interfax news agency.
He also said that the mission currently on the ISS would stay an extra six weeks longer than scheduled and would land back on Earth on April 30. Three crew members had been set to land on March 16.
"The landing is normally held two weeks before the launch of the next mission. This time it will happen on April 30," he told Interfax.
The delay came after the re-entry capsule of the Soyuz spacecraft to be used in the mission was shown in testing not to be hermetically sealed and could not be used for safety reasons.
The re-entry capsule goes inside the spacecraft and is the portion that eventually returns the astronauts to Earth when the mission is over.
Russia now has sole reponsibility for taking US and other international astronauts to the ISS following the withdrawal of the US space shuttle but its own space programme has been hit by a string of problems in recent months.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know