“Night shining” clouds getting brighter worldwide
Washington: A new research has indicated that “night shining” clouds are getting brighter all over the world.
“Night shining” clouds, or shimmering noctilucent clouds, are very thin and wispy, which makes them almost invisible during the day.
Appearing after sunset, these clouds are high enough in the atmosphere that the sun still hits them, even though it’s dark on the ground.
“These clouds exist literally on the edge of space,” said James Russell, principal investigator for NASA’s Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere (AIM) satellite, adding that the clouds form only in a very narrow band a little more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) above Earth’s surface.
According to a report in National Geographic News, once seen mostly in the Arctic, night-shining clouds are now appearing more frequently at lower latitudes.
Scientists suspect that the increase in night-shining clouds may be due to climate change.
Even as surface temperatures rise, the upper atmosphere is getting colder due to the build-up of carbon dioxide, creating perfect conditions for cloud formation, according to experts.
Since 2007, scientists using the AIM satellite have been documenting night-shining clouds as seen from space.
Based on five polar seasons of data, the satellite has revealed that the clouds’ seasonal appearances turn on and off as abruptly as a “geophysical light bulb,” according to the AIM Web site.
High-altitude night-shining clouds are similar in structure to lower-level clouds - a fact that is “startling,” according to AIM deputy principal investigator Scott Bailey, of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
“That`s because the two types of clouds form under such radically different conditions,” Bailey said.
AIM’s data on night-shining clouds have told scientists a lot about the upper atmosphere.
“The processes that control these clouds are very likely similar to the ones that control clouds down near the surface of Earth,” said Bailey.
Other phenomena, such as rocket launches, can also set the stage for night-shining clouds. In addition, more night-shining clouds tend to light up the skies during times when the sun is quiet, according to Daniel Marsh of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.
“That’s because when solar activity is most intense, ultraviolet radiation breaks up the air``’ water molecules and prevents the clouds from forming,” Marsh said. Volcanoes also inject water vapour into the upper atmosphere, which can lead to night-shining clouds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?