`Oceans of diamonds` on Uranus and Neptune
London: Planetary scientists have claimed
that oceans of liquid diamond, topped with solid "icebergs" of
the precious gems, could be on Uranus and Neptune.
According to them, as much as 10 per cent of both
the two giant gas planets is carbon and a liquid diamond ocean
could deflect the angle of the magnetic field out of alignment
with the planets` rotation.
The two planets, unlike Earth, do not have magnetic
poles which match up with their geographical poles.
In laboratory conditions which simulated pressure
levels on the gas planets, the scientists found that little
crystals of solid diamond formed like icebergs in the liquid
carbon they created.
Jon Eggert of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
in California was quoted by `The Daily Telegraph` as saying,
"The idea of significant quantities of pure carbon existing
in giant planets such as Uranus and Neptune has gained both
experimental and theoretical support.
"It is now accepted that the high-pressure, high-
temperature behaviour of carbon is essential to predicting the
evolution and structure of such planets. An ocean of diamond
could help explain the orientation of Uranus` and Neptune`s
For their research, the planetary scientists took a
half-millimetre wide diamond a tenth of a carat in weight and
blasted it with lasers at high pressure, similar to that which
could be found on Uranus and Neptune.
The diamond was liquefied at pressures 40 million-
times greater than at sea-level on Earth, and from there the
scientists slowly reduced the temperature and pressure. When
the pressure fell to only 11 million-times Earth sea level and
temperatures dipped to 50,000 degrees Celsius, solid chunks of
diamond began to appear in the liquid.
As the pressure continued to drop more and more
chunks formed in the liquid diamond and did not sink. With
most materials the solid state is more dense than the liquid
state -- with water one of the few exceptions.
"Diamond is relatively common material on Earth,
but its melting point has never been measured. You can`t just
raise the temperature and have it melt, you also have to go to
very high pressures, which makes it very difficult to measure
the temperatures," Eggert wrote in `Nature Physics` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!