One-kg meteorite fragment found in Russia
Moscow: Scientists from Russia`s Urals Federal University have discovered a meteorite fragment weighing more than one kg, the largest found so far from the meteorite strike that hit the Urals region Feb 15.
University expedition chief Viktor Grokhovsky said more than 100 fragments have been found by the expedition along a 50-km trail under the meteorite`s flight path.
Over 1,500 people were injured and thousands of buildings damaged when the massive meteorite streaked across the sky over the city of Chelyabinsk.
US space agency NASA estimates the meteorite was roughly 15 metres in diameter when it struck Earth`s atmosphere, travelling several times the speed of sound, and exploded into a fireball.
Fragments of the meteorite have been found in an eight-metre-wide crater in the region`s Lake Chebarkul, scientists said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?