One-kg meteorite fragment found in Russia
Moscow: Scientists from Russia`s Urals Federal University have discovered a meteorite fragment weighing more than one kg, the largest found so far from the meteorite strike that hit the Urals region Feb 15.
University expedition chief Viktor Grokhovsky said more than 100 fragments have been found by the expedition along a 50-km trail under the meteorite`s flight path.
Over 1,500 people were injured and thousands of buildings damaged when the massive meteorite streaked across the sky over the city of Chelyabinsk.
US space agency NASA estimates the meteorite was roughly 15 metres in diameter when it struck Earth`s atmosphere, travelling several times the speed of sound, and exploded into a fireball.
Fragments of the meteorite have been found in an eight-metre-wide crater in the region`s Lake Chebarkul, scientists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...