Over 800 tourists from India to chase annular solar eclipse
Kochi: Chasing the longest annular solar
eclipse of the third millennium, over 800 `Astro` tourists
from different parts of the country today embarked on a
journey to Male in Maldives on board a luxury cruise vessel to
witness the `rare celestial event` on January 15.
The luxury liner with 825 passengers on board left for
Maldives this evening from Kochi port.
"This will truly herald in the concept of Astro tourism
in India, a way for people to merge a cruise to idyllic
Maldives with a chance to see a rare celestial wonder of the
annular eclipse," Mila Mitra, Scientific officer, SPACE, a
scientific organisation, said.
Last July during the total Solar Eclipse, SPACE had
launched the `first time eclipse flight` in India. "First by
air, and now by water, we are launching innovative ways to
take the eclipse to every Indian," she said in a release.
The `first` Eclipse cruise is being organised by the
Louis cruises and Space Technology and Education Private Ltd
(SPACE), an organisation working for the development of
science and astronomy in India.
The aim is to bring together the exciting sphere of
astronomy, space services and unravel the wonders of the sky,
Amit Verma, Chief Executive Officer, SPACE, said.
The last time such an occurrence was viewed in India was
on Nov 22, 1965 and the phenomena is not expected to be
repeated before June 21, 2020.
According to Fujian Provincial Observatory of China, this
will be the millennium`s longest annular eclipse of the sun
with its duration being 11 minutes and 08 seconds over the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next