Piece of first spacecraft to land on moon up for grabs
London: A piece of the first spacecraft to land on the moon is expected to fetch up to 1,200 pounds at an auction on November 14 in Devizes, Wiltshire.
The piece of Kapton Foil from the Apollo 11 is being auctioned by Henry Aldridge And Son with a signed endorsement from crew member Buzz Aldrin, reports Sky News.
With an estimated value of between 900 pounds and 1,200 pounds, the gold-like tape was attached to the module from the Apollo 11 mission, which landed the first humans on the moon in 1969.
Coated with aluminium and oxidised silicon monoxide, it protected the command module during its re-entry into the earth`s atmosphere on July 24 1969.
Although most of it burnt off, members of the spaceshuttle recovery team collected bits as souvenirs.
A letter, typed on an ‘Apollo XI’ letterhead, talks about the role of the fragile Kapton Foil, most of which burned away during the 25,000mph re-entry.
Signed in black ink by Aldrin, the letter states: "A small portion of it survived and was salvaged by the North American Recovery team on board the aircraft carrier Hornet, and carefully preserved for posterity."
The auction will also offer a signed photograph of the crew of the Apollo 12, the second manned mission to land on the moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre