Preparations on for commercial rocket launch
Chennai: Preparations are on at the rocket port in Sriharikota for the launch of a commercial rocket that would carry five satellites -- two from Canada, and one each from France, Germany and Singapore, an official said Thursday.
"Work on the next launch has started. The rocket launch is slated for last week of June. The rocket will put into orbit a French satellite SPOT-7 weighing around 720 kg," M.Y.S. Prasad, director at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) told IANS over phone.
It will be the first rocket launch of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, which will assume charge May 26.
The rocket port is in Andhra Pradesh`s Sriharikota around 80 km from here.
Prasad said piggybacking on the main luggage will be four more small satellites - two from Canada and one each from Germany and Singapore.
He said the total liftoff weight of the rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) will be 230 tonne and its total luggage/satellites weight will be around 830 kg.
During the 12th Five-year Plan (2012-2017), the ISRO is planning to have 60 space missions.
ISRO chairman K. Radhakrishnan had said the space organisation was working at preparing a business model to partner with industries - public and private - so that they have a higher level of participation in the space sector.
The model that the ISRO is looking is for investment, sharing of technology and responsibility and it may take around three or four years to arrive at a model, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country