Preparations on for commercial rocket launch
Chennai: Preparations are on at the rocket port in Sriharikota for the launch of a commercial rocket that would carry five satellites -- two from Canada, and one each from France, Germany and Singapore, an official said Thursday.
"Work on the next launch has started. The rocket launch is slated for last week of June. The rocket will put into orbit a French satellite SPOT-7 weighing around 720 kg," M.Y.S. Prasad, director at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) told IANS over phone.
It will be the first rocket launch of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, which will assume charge May 26.
The rocket port is in Andhra Pradesh`s Sriharikota around 80 km from here.
Prasad said piggybacking on the main luggage will be four more small satellites - two from Canada and one each from Germany and Singapore.
He said the total liftoff weight of the rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) will be 230 tonne and its total luggage/satellites weight will be around 830 kg.
During the 12th Five-year Plan (2012-2017), the ISRO is planning to have 60 space missions.
ISRO chairman K. Radhakrishnan had said the space organisation was working at preparing a business model to partner with industries - public and private - so that they have a higher level of participation in the space sector.
The model that the ISRO is looking is for investment, sharing of technology and responsibility and it may take around three or four years to arrive at a model, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended