Primordial ‘Big Bang’ soup re-created
Melbourne: Using the world`s largest atom smasher, scientists at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) have made some of the hottest and densest matter ever achieved on Earth.
Called a quark gluon plasma, it`s a state of matter that existed in the milliseconds after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago.
Physicists using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) smashed heavy lead ions together at close to the speed of light, generating temperatures of more than 1.6 trillion degrees Celsius, a hundred thousand times hotter than the centre of the Sun.
In the process they recreated the densest material ever observed - only black holes are denser.
The results allow scientists to understand the evolution of the early universe recreating the conditions that existed back then.
Professor Geoffrey Taylor from the University of Melbourne and part of the scientific team involved with the Large Hadron Collider`s Atlas Detector, describes the work as an amazing achievement, accomplished in just two weeks of atom smashing.
“This state of matter doesn`t exist anywhere naturally on Earth and is thought to only now occur during the collision of two neutron stars,” ABC Science quoted Tayloras saying.
The results were released at the Quark Matter Conference recently held in Annecy, France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks