Primordial ‘Big Bang’ soup re-created
Melbourne: Using the world`s largest atom smasher, scientists at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) have made some of the hottest and densest matter ever achieved on Earth.
Called a quark gluon plasma, it`s a state of matter that existed in the milliseconds after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago.
Physicists using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) smashed heavy lead ions together at close to the speed of light, generating temperatures of more than 1.6 trillion degrees Celsius, a hundred thousand times hotter than the centre of the Sun.
In the process they recreated the densest material ever observed - only black holes are denser.
The results allow scientists to understand the evolution of the early universe recreating the conditions that existed back then.
Professor Geoffrey Taylor from the University of Melbourne and part of the scientific team involved with the Large Hadron Collider`s Atlas Detector, describes the work as an amazing achievement, accomplished in just two weeks of atom smashing.
“This state of matter doesn`t exist anywhere naturally on Earth and is thought to only now occur during the collision of two neutron stars,” ABC Science quoted Tayloras saying.
The results were released at the Quark Matter Conference recently held in Annecy, France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez