PSLV launch put off due to technical glitch
Bangalore: India has put off the launch of an advanced remote sensing satellite, fixed for May 9, after a technical glitch in its Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle was detected, the space agency said on Thursday.
"A marginal drop in the pressure in second stage of the vehicle was noticed during the mandatory checks carried out on the PSLV-C15 vehicle," the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement.
"The launch of ISRO`s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C15) fixed for May 9, 2010, has been rescheduled. The new date for the launch of PSLV-C15 mission will be decided after preliminary results of the analysis are obtained," the statement said.
PSLV-C15 is to launch India`s Cartosat-2B, an Algerian satellite ALSAT-2A, two nano satellites, NLS 6.1 and NLS 6.2 from University of Toronto, Canada, and STUDSAT, a satellite built by students from academic institutions in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
PSLV-C15 was to lift off from the spaceport at Sriharikota, an island off the Andhra Pradesh coast.
Cartosat-2B, a 690-kg satellite, will carry a sophisticated panchromatic camera on board to take higher (0.8 metre) spatial resolution imageries with a swath of 9.6 km of specific spots for cartographic applications such as mapping, land information and geographical information system.
Studsat is built by college students from Bangalore and Hyderabad at a cost of Rs.5.5 million.
The Algerian Alsat communication satellite will be a commercial launch of the space agency`s commercial arm, Antrix Corporation.
Two weeks ago, India had failed in its attempt to test flight the indigenous super-cooled cryogenic upper stage engine on April 15.
About eight minutes after lift off the 416-tonne geo-synchronous satellite launch vehicle (GSLV-D3) deviated from the flight path at about 60 km and spun out of control to plunge into the Bay of Bengal along with the 2.2-tonne GSAT-4 on board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race