Ramanujan’s ‘genius’ finally proven by mathematician
London: A US scientist has finally proved an unproven mathematical relation - discussed by Srinivasa Ramanujan with his mentor in one of his last letters.
Ramanujan often managed to leap from insight to insight without formally proving the logical steps in between.
Now proof has been found for a connection that he seemed to mysteriously intuit between two types of mathematical functions, New Scientist reported.
“His ideas as to what constituted a mathematical proof were of the most shadowy description,” G. H.Hardy, Ramanujan’s mentor and one of his few collaborators, had once said.
Ken Ono of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, who has previously unearthed hidden depths in Ramanujan’s work, was prompted by Ramanujan’s 125th birth anniversary, to look once more at his writings.
“I wanted to go back and prove something special,” Ono said.
Ono settled on a discussion in the last known letter that Ramanujan wrote to Hardy, concerning a type of function now called a modular form.
The functions looked unlike any other modular forms, but Ramanujan wrote that their outputs would be very similar to those of modular forms when computed for the roots of 1 like the square root -1.
It was only 10 years back that mathematicians formally defined this other set of functions, now known as mock modular forms.
But still no one could understand what he meant by saying that the two types of function produced similar outputs for roots of 1.
Now Ono and have colleagues have exactly calculated one of Ramanujan’s mock modular forms for values very close to -1, and said the difference in the value of the two functions, ignoring the functions signs, is tiny when computed for -1, just like Ramanujan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan