Rare celestial spectacle awaits skygazers
Mumbai: A rare celestial spectacle awaits skygazers Monday when a newly-found asteroid - 2011-MD - will pass between 10,000-12,000 km above earth, a scientist said Friday. It will be visited in India.
"The celestial encounter is going to be so close that earth`s gravity will sharply alter the asteriod`s trajectory," said Bharat Adur, director of Akash Ganga Centre forAstronomy (AGCA).
At its closest point, 2011-MD - a chunk of rock estimated to be 8 to 18 m across - will pass in daylight over the southern Atlantic Ocean, near Antarctica.
As it recedes away from earth, it will pass through the zone of geosynchronous satellites. But the chances of a collision with a satellite or manmade space-junk are extremely small but not zero, Adur said.
"Judging from its brightness, it measures only 5 to 20 meters in diameter. One would expect an object of this size to come this close to earth about every 6 years on average. For a brief time, it will be bright enough to be seen even with a medium-sized backyard telescope," Adur told IANS.
However, Adur said the asteroid will be almost invisible from the Pacific and south America but the asteroid should be visible in the preceding hours from the Americas, the Pacific and eastern Asia.
It will also be visible in India, south-west of Cape Horn, Australia, New Zealand, Adur said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video