Rare comet to light up evening sky this month
Washington: A comet with a glowing tail will make a once-in-a-lifetime appearance in the evening sky this month, experts have revealed.
Comet 2011 L4 Panstarrs, which has taken millions of years to travel out from the Oort cloud - a huge colony of icy objects at the edge of the Solar System, will be visible low in the west throughout the month, they said.
Sky watchers could get a better view on March 12 and 13 when it brushes past the crescent moon, but it might be difficult to see the object without binoculars or a telescope.
"It`s going to be in the twilight sky and not as bright as we had originally hoped, but comets are terribly unpredictable," the Telegraph quoted Robin Scagell, vice-president of the Society for Popular Astronomy as saying.
The comet will fade towards the end of the month, but will rise higher in the sky, possibly making it easier to see.
By March 30 its northward path will take it close to the Andromeda galaxy . Which could provide a good picture for sky watchers, said Scagell.
Panstarrs is not expected to revisit our skies for 110,000 years.
Another comet is expected to make a more dramatic appearance in November.
Comet Ison will fly closer to the Sun, causing it to light up.
Experts said it could be bright enough to see in daylight, but from the UK it will only be visible low in the sky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what