Realities behind Blue Moon revealed
Washington: This Tuesday will be a `Blue Moon` in August even though it`s the only full moon this month.
According to the rule of astronomy, a Blue Moon is defined as the second full moon occurring during a calendar month but a somewhat obscure rule allows us to call it a Blue Moon, Discovery News reported.
The fact is that the current one month" rule has surpasses the rule that allows us to call Tuesday`s full moon `blue.`
On the 1937 Maine Farmers` almanac (not same as The Farmers` Almanac that is still being published in Lewiston, Maine) page, the Blue Moon`s definition stated that occasionally `1 of the 4 seasons is going to feature four full moons instead of the usual three.
The almanac further read that there are 7 Blue Moons in a Lunar Cycle of nineteen years, explaining that in the olden times the almanac makers had difficulty while calculating the occurrence of the Blue Moon and this was the uncertainty that gave rise to the expression `Once in a Blue Moon.`
Back in the July 1943 issue of Sky and Telescope magazine, Lawrence J. Lafleur in a question and answer column quoted the Almanac`s account but never specified any date for the Blue Moon.
It turns out that, in 1937, the Full Moon occurred on Aug. 21, which was the third full moon in the summer of 1937, a summer season that would see four full moons.
But the `two full moons in a month is a Blue Moon came into being because of author James Hugh Pruett , made a reference to the term `Blue Moon` in his article in Sky and Telescope and referenced LaFleur`s S and T article from July 1943.
But as Pruett did not have any specific dates to fall back on, his interpretation was highly subjective and he came to the conclusion that seven times in 19 years there were - and still are - 13 full moons in a year, which gives 11 months with one full moon each and one with two. This second in a month, so he interpreted it, Blue Moon.
Pruett`s explanation was, of course, wrong interpretation and it might have been forgotten had it not been Deborah Byrd who used it on National Public Radio program, StarDate on Jan. 31, 1980.
After the radio show, the incorrect Blue Moon rule `went viral.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow